[Samba] Cannot upload printer driver from Windows XP on Samba 3.0.2a

Craig A. Huegen chuegen at pentics.com
Wed Feb 18 01:02:34 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I am having problems attempting to upload the printer driver for my
Konica-Minolta magicolor 2300DL to Samba through the Windows XP interface.

I've read the HOWTO's and everything is set up correctly; I've tried using
root permissions as well as printer admin permissions.  I've searched
far and wide for a fix, but have only found the same question asked a
few times.

The error message that I receive on Windows XP is:
"Unable to install magicolor 2300 DL, Windows NT 4.0 or 2000, Intel driver.
Operation could not be completed."

If I try adding a new printer via the Add Printer Wizard, I am able to
specify the model name, share name, etc., and as I click 'Finish' it reports
"Printer driver was not installed.  Operation could not be completed."

The Samba log error associated with this is:
[2004/02/17 18:32:29, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(252)
  tigerfish (205.166.254.3) couldn't find service ::{2227a280-3aea-1069-a2de-08002b30309d}

I've tried this on Samba 2.2.5 and 3.0.2a (freshly compiled last night).

>From a Windows 2000 machine I attempted to create the printer using the
Add Printer Wizard.  First, I tried the Windows XP driver on the CD; it
reported the same Samba error referencing service 2227...

Then, I tried the Windows NT driver on the CD; it successfully loaded the
driver to the Samba server and all appeared well.  However, when I went
to another Windows XP machine and installed the printer, sending a test
page jammed the lpd queue (probably something odd with the driver).

Can anyone suggest a fix or more troubleshooting steps?

/cah