[Samba] Quark Express 4.1 Saving problems

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Feb 16 15:59:48 GMT 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Andreas Heinlein wrote:

> Hello,
>
> found this topic in the archives and would like to re-open this thread.
>
> I have some problems with Quark XPress Passport 4.1 on Win2K Clients and
> Samba 3.0.1 . Sometimes when saving a file, either an existing one or
> new, QuarkXPress produces an "I/O-Error [-36]" and cannot save the file,
> not even with "Save as..." under a different name.
> I turned off oplocks on this share, but it changed nothing.
> Other Apps seem to work fine.
>
> The problem cannot be easily reproduced, it occurs only every now and
> then. I set log level to 3 today and will wait till tomorrow, hope this
> happens again soon so I can provide log output.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?

The Samba-HOWTO-Collection has a chapter on "File and Record Locking" that
may help you. The bottom line is that Microsoft recognise that sometimes
the only way to avoid a potential oplock problem is by turning off client
registry settings that cause it to request oplock behaviour. I have
documented specific examples of this in my new book "Samba-3 by Example",
however, the core of the information you need is in the
Samba-HOWTO-Collection chapter I refer you to. You can find the HOWTO
collection from the documentation page of the Samba web sites.

Cheers,
John T.
--
John H Terpstra