[Samba] Loss of connection when changing smb.conf?

Andreas Heinlein a.heinlein at systemtechnik-schreurs.de
Mon Feb 16 14:31:57 GMT 2004

Hello,

since upgrading to Samba 3 (3.0.1 on Debian 3.0), I noticed that clients
seems to sometimes lose connection to the samba server when the
configuration file is changed. Today I added "oplocks = no" to the
"homes" section because I wanted to track down a specific problem, and
voila: 1-2 minutes later some Win2K-Clients (but probably not all,
couldn't check that) lost connection to the homes share and had to sign
off and sign on again. Later on I added "log level = 3" to the global
section and the same happened again.
I'm pretty sure this didn't happen with Samba 2.2.8.

Could this have something to do with smb signing? I assume SMB signing
maintains some kind of state information or serial number on the
packages, in order to prevent man-in-the-middle attacks; and this could
information could get lost when samba reloads the smb.conf?

Thanks,
Andreas