[Samba] Samba Ldap Understanding

J W gr8_impact at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 13 16:08:42 GMT 2004

Hello Andrew and all,

I have a question about Ldap and Samba.  I've
implemented samba in the past, but never with LDAP.  I
tried reading the Howto, however it seems that most of
the examples are lean more toward using OpenLdap.  I'd
like to know about using Samba with and external LDAP
server provided by a third party (ie Iplanet or
other).
**  How do I ensure that Samba work with third party
LDAP server that dont sit on the same machine that
Samba is installed on?

** What LDAP info/schema is neccessary to do the
authtication?

**  After a user is authenticated with against the
LDAP server, how do I offer shares of the Samba
machine?

** Can some point me to a case/example doc that i can
read that is more related to LDAP server installed on
another machine?

I am doing a project for a non profit that is
associated with a school district that has LDAP on
Iplanet already in place.

Thanks a billion,
Jeremy wake