[Samba] Samba / Networking trouble since latest windows update

John Snowdon J.P.Snowdon at newcastle.ac.uk
Wed Feb 11 16:00:02 GMT 2004

For additional info the patch only seems to be affecting Mac OS X
versions of Samba:

Mac OS X 10.3.2 Server Details (Apple Samba 3.0.0rc2)
Local user/group authentication
Workgroup
No WINS support
Server <-> Patched XP Client = random network hanging and dropouts while
browsing.
Server <-> Unpatched XP Client = Ok
Server <-> Patched 2K Client = Ok
Server <-> Unpatched 2K Client = Ok
Server <-> Non-Windows Client = Ok

Solaris 9 Server Details (Samba 2.2.x)
Local user/group authentication
Workgroup
No WINS support
Server <-> Patched XP Client = Ok
Server <-> Unpatched XP Client = Ok
Server <-> Patched 2K Client = Ok
Server <-> Unpatched 2K Client = Ok

Linux Server Details (Samba 2.2.x & 3)
ldap authentication
Server <-> Patched XP Client = Ok
Server <-> Unpatched XP Client = Ok
Server <-> Patched 2K Client = Ok
Server <-> Unpatched 2K Client = Ok

I've upped the log level to 10 and the output is exactly the same from
working and non-working clients; the log doesn't hang half way through
the operation either - it seems as if it completes everything ok, ie the
output of the log stops at the same place it does when the operation
completes successfully on a non-patched XP or 2K client. Network load is
pretty average; I've even turned off all WINS resolution (the resolve
list in smb.conf is simply lmhost and host now) to see if that was
causing problems; nope.

smbstatus shows everyone connected ok, files open etc. smbclient queries
the server and brings back the shares fine.

Do we have any idea as to what was in that Microsoft IE cumulative
update (MS04-004, KB832894) that could have caused this problem on XP?
It's bizarre; sometimes it will work fine and then only hang when
changing back up a directory, others it will hang for minutes when you
just first try to open a drive.

The problem has got to be client side, I'm almost certain of it.

-John