[Samba] samba, pdc, ldap question

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Feb 10 11:01:34 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 15:28, testme at temple.edu wrote:
> I have a question for those of you out there.  I work at a
> university where we already have our ldap systems in place
> and use them for almost all authentication.  I would like to
> implement a samba file server that authenticates of our
> existing ldap server.  Would the best solution be to have
> samba authticate off of ldap through pam.  Is this even
> available.   Can anyone point me in the right direction.
> Everything out there talks about implemeting samba with a
> NEW openldap server.  I would also consider making samba a
> PDC but thats not my main goal.  What is the best way to go
> with what I want to do and with what I already have? Any
> good docs that could help me.  All the normal docs dont fit
> to environment.  Thanks in advance

You could use PAM - but that's strongly discouraged because to do that,
you must use plaintext passwords, and to do that you must enable hacks
on the client, suffer client bugs and expose passwords on the network...

If there is not a windows authentication domain that you can join, then
you must either populate the LDAP server with sambaNTpassword and
sambaLMpassword, or maintain something locally.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net