[Samba] school PDC questions

Ken D'Ambrosio kend at xanoptix.com
Mon Feb 9 17:11:37 GMT 2004

Ivo Dancet wrote:

> I need to set up a samba server (I think samba 3.0.2 will be the one)
> as PDC for my school. It needs to serve mandatory profiles, home dirs,
> shares, printers. As OS I think redhat will do just fine (or isn't
> that a good idea?). Authentication would use openLDAP (if I get it
> online with the hints of realx).

While I use Debian, there's certainly nothing wrong with using Red Hat.

> Questions:
> 1. What hardware will do a fine job to do this?

You neglect to give any hint as to how many users.  Obviously, the more
users, the
beefier a system.

> 2. Can a webserver run on the same server without problems or is it
> better to have another server to serve pages (html, php, mysql) for
> intranet and 'claroline' (an online learning environment).

Certainly nothing against it, but, again, if you're stretching your
hardware's limitations, it would probably be best to have it on a
separate system.

> 3. and something else: is it easy to add users in bulk to that
> openldap server (with home dir and so)?

If you're familiar with Perl (or sed/awk, Python, etc.), once you
understand the underlying principles of LDAP, and LDIF files, creation
of users becomes trivial.

> A few early questions, I'm sure a lot will folow, even though I read a
> lot of info...

We all have to start somewhere; that's what lists like this are for.

Ken D'Ambrosio
Sr. SysAdmin,
Xanoptix, Inc.