[Samba] The '<printer name>' printer driver is not installed on this computer

Henning Holtschneider hh at loca.net
Mon Feb 9 13:34:36 GMT 2004

Hello everybody,

I'm using CUPS 1.1.19 and Samba 2.2.8a on SuSE Linux 9.0 (I'm using SuSE's
pre-built packages). Samba is running as a domain controller and the
workstations are running Windows XP Professional. I manually installed
cups-samba 1.1.19 Windows printer drivers because SuSE doesn't supply
them.

I've got three printers on the network which I would like to print on from
the workstations through the Samba server: an HP Laserjet 4000 (Postscript
and PCL enabled), a Kyocera FS 6700 (PCL5e) and a Ricoh Aficio 200 (also
PCL5e, set up as Aficio 220 because there is no PPD for the 200 model).

I can print just fine from the Linux machine to all three printers.
However, when trying to use the shared printers from the Windows XP
workstations, only the Laserjet works. As for the two other printers, I
get an "access denied" message when trying to print. If I try to access
the printer properties, I get this message:

"The '<printer name>' printer driver is not installed on this computer.
Some printer properties will not be accessible unless you install the
printer driver. Do you want to install the driver now?"

I ran cupsaddsmb for all three printers and the driver along with the PPDs
got installed into /var/lib/samba/drivers/W32X86/2. The download from the
server to the workstations seems to work, too. At least, I can see the
files in ...\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\2.

I'm getting no error messages in the Windows event log, CUPS' log files or
Samba's log files. I can also print fine directly from the workstations
via CUPS using IPP!

I already searched the archives of the CUPS and Samba mailing lists and
found some people with similar problems. However, each of them had
problems with the driver download from the server to the workstations
which seems to work fine here.

Is there any way to better diagnose the problem? Should I try the Adobe
drivers instead of the CUPS drivers? Could it be that my CUPS and/or Samba
installations are too old (I would like to avoid having to recompile CUPS
or Samba, though ;-) ?

Thanks,

     <-gninneH<-
--
   __                 _  __    __   Henning Holtschneider
  / /  ___  _______ _/ |/ /__ / /_  <henning at loca.net>