[Samba] Virtual network using ssh tunneling on Windows 2K/XP. Please help.

Paul Gardiner samba-list at laser-point.co.uk
Sat Feb 7 22:25:39 GMT 2004

Hi,
I'm trying to connect to a samba server via an ssh tunnel.  I'm running
ssh on my W2K machine.  If I try to connect from another machine that
is running an OS called RiscOS and a NetBIOS client called LanMan98
then it works perfectly, but if I try to connect from the another Windows
machine running XP, or from the W2k machine (uisng loopback), I get

"Windows cannot find \\127.0.0.1\sharename.  Check the spelling and try again,
or try searching for the item by clicking the Start button and then clicking
Search."

I've found claims on the net of this working.  So what am I doing wrong
(other than using Windows in the first place :-) )?

Cheers,
    Paul.