[Samba] samba binded to private IP

Anshul Gupta tech at anshulgupta.com
Sat Feb 7 09:45:11 GMT 2004

Hi Everyone,

Is it possible for samba to bind to private IP only? When I binded
samba to private IP it serves the requests locally on that machine but
the client on local network cannot connect to samba server via private
IP. There is no firewall on private interface.

When I commented the interfaces parameter (listening on all
interfaces), I was able to connect to public IP of machine from clients
on local network.

Does samba bind itself to hostname automatically? uname -a shows the
hostname associated with public IP.  I am using Samba
2.2.7a-security-rollup-fix.

Thanks,
Anshul