[Samba] "no such file or directory" error

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Feb 5 15:52:00 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 08:04, Tom and Denise Caudron wrote:
> I have an smb service set up on a box on my home network, and it
> currently works fine with the mp3 folder I share out accross the lan.
> However, I recently decided to add a share for my web site so i could
> make site updates/changes from any other box in the house rather than
> having to go to the server to make content changes.
>
> The relevant bita of my smb.conf file look like this:
>
> [mp3]
>    path = /share/mp3
>    public = yes
>    only guest = yes
>    writable = yes
>    printable = no
>
> [tomdecom]
>   path = /home/httpd/htdocs/tom.digitalelite.com
>   public = yes
>   only guest = yes
>   writable = yes
>   printable = no
>
> The output of a version check on the server-side gives me:
>
> # smbd -V
> Version 2.2.8a
>
> On the client side, the relevant bits of my fstab file look like this:
>
> //mordor/mp3        /network/mp3        smbfs   username=Guest,password=,users,fmask=777,dmask=777   0 0
> //mordor/tomdecom   /network/tomdecom   smbfs   username=Guest,password=,users,fmask=777,dmask=777   0 0
>
> Note that I have created both client-side directories and I have
> restarted samba after adding the [tomdecom] entry.  I have even gone so
> far as to reboot my client system.  The smb shares mount fine.  No
> errors.  I can view the contents:
>
> # ls -la /network/tomdecom/
> total 3163
> drwxrwxrwx    1 root     root         4096 Feb  4 22:10 .
> drwxr-xr-x    7 root     root          192 Feb  5 08:48 ..
> -rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           62 Oct  8 01:28 index.html
>
> Note that the permissions seem adequate, yet when I try to copy files to
> that /network/tomdecom folder, I get errors:
>
> `webalbum/index.html' -> `/network/tomdecom/index.html'
> cp: cannot create regular file `/network/tomdecom/index.html': Permission denied
> `webalbum/left.png' -> `/network/tomdecom/left.png'
> cp: cannot create regular file `/network/tomdecom/left.png': No such file or directory
> `webalbum/next.png' -> `/network/tomdecom/next.png'
> cp: cannot create regular file `/network/tomdecom/next.png': No such file or directory
> `webalbum/prev.png' -> `/network/tomdecom/prev.png'
> cp: cannot create regular file `/network/tomdecom/prev.png': No such file or directory
> `webalbum/right.png' -> `/network/tomdecom/right.png'
> cp: cannot create regular file `/network/tomdecom/right.png': No such file or directory
> `webalbum/top.png' -> `/network/tomdecom/top.png'
> cp: cannot create regular file `/network/tomdecom/top.png': No such file or directory
>
> If the file already exists, I get a permission denied error, and if the
> file doesn't already exist I get a "no such file or directory" error.  I
> tried simply opening the folder in Nautilus (I'm using Gnome 2.4 on the
> [...]
---
as root, on console on the server...
chmod 777 /home/httpd/htdocs/tom.digitalelite.com -R

If you are opening this web server over the internet, you will need to
consider all sorts of issues regarding security, users and groups, etc.
The concept of allowing 'guests' write access is one that conflicts with
any notion of security.

Craig