[Samba] "no such file or directory" error

Tom and Denise Caudron caudron at digitalelite.com
Thu Feb 5 15:04:44 GMT 2004

I have an smb service set up on a box on my home network, and it
currently works fine with the mp3 folder I share out accross the lan.
However, I recently decided to add a share for my web site so i could
make site updates/changes from any other box in the house rather than
having to go to the server to make content changes.

The relevant bita of my smb.conf file look like this:

[mp3]
   path = /share/mp3
   public = yes
   only guest = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no

[tomdecom]
  path = /home/httpd/htdocs/tom.digitalelite.com
  public = yes
  only guest = yes
  writable = yes
  printable = no

The output of a version check on the server-side gives me:

# smbd -V
Version 2.2.8a

On the client side, the relevant bits of my fstab file look like this:

//mordor/mp3        /network/mp3        smbfs   username=Guest,password=,users,fmask=777,dmask=777   0 0
//mordor/tomdecom   /network/tomdecom   smbfs   username=Guest,password=,users,fmask=777,dmask=777   0 0

Note that I have created both client-side directories and I have
restarted samba after adding the [tomdecom] entry.  I have even gone so
far as to reboot my client system.  The smb shares mount fine.  No
errors.  I can view the contents:

# ls -la /network/tomdecom/
total 3163
drwxrwxrwx    1 root     root         4096 Feb  4 22:10 .
drwxr-xr-x    7 root     root          192 Feb  5 08:48 ..
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           62 Oct  8 01:28 index.html

Note that the permissions seem adequate, yet when I try to copy files to
that /network/tomdecom folder, I get errors:

`webalbum/index.html' -> `/network/tomdecom/index.html'
cp: cannot create regular file `/network/tomdecom/index.html': Permission denied
`webalbum/left.png' -> `/network/tomdecom/left.png'
cp: cannot create regular file `/network/tomdecom/left.png': No such file or directory
`webalbum/next.png' -> `/network/tomdecom/next.png'
cp: cannot create regular file `/network/tomdecom/next.png': No such file or directory
`webalbum/prev.png' -> `/network/tomdecom/prev.png'
cp: cannot create regular file `/network/tomdecom/prev.png': No such file or directory
`webalbum/right.png' -> `/network/tomdecom/right.png'
cp: cannot create regular file `/network/tomdecom/right.png': No such file or directory
`webalbum/top.png' -> `/network/tomdecom/top.png'
cp: cannot create regular file `/network/tomdecom/top.png': No such file or directory

If the file already exists, I get a permission denied error, and if the
file doesn't already exist I get a "no such file or directory" error.  I
tried simply opening the folder in Nautilus (I'm using Gnome 2.4 on the
client-side and no gui on the server side) and creating a folder there,
but I get a permission denied error there too.  All this, and yet the
permissions seem sjust fine as reported by both the cli and Nautilus.

I have tried to copy files as both my regular uid and as root.  I have
also tried to simply "touch" a file onto the share and gotten the same
result.  It goes without saying, probably, but when I'm on the server
itself, I have no permissions issues.

Remember that the /network/mp3 share works perfectly fine.  No problems
in any way.  It's just the tomdecom share that is acting up.

What can I be doing wrong?  Any help at all would be appreciated.  If
you need to see other output, feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance!

-Tom Caudron