[Samba] LDAP versus LDAPSAM

Philip Juels pjuels at rics.bwh.harvard.edu
Mon Feb 2 17:26:15 GMT 2004

Well, I work for a large genetics research facility within an even
larger healthcare provider network.   What we're doing is creating a
web/jboss-based LIMS (Laboratory Information Management System), and
attached to that we have a repository (on a separate machine) for user
data that jboss automatically sets up for each user.  However, since we
wish to give users the option of accessing to their data outside of the
LIMS portal, we naturally selected samba to be the filesystem
abstraction.  Since our LIMS authenticates users against our ldap server
(and creates users on the fly), for consistency/convenience we wanted
the samba data server to authenticate against the same ldap server.

The trick is these users would be accessing the samba server via Win2k
clients that are part of a separate Windows domain that we have no
control over  So, I'm not sure if  setting up a samba PDC would help
us.  Given this we chose to use an openldap solution for user
authentication across our jboss, database, and fileservers.  I'm stuck
trying to set up user authentication via ldap for samba connections.

We did try PAM+LDAP, but PAM doesn't support encryption.

--Phil