[Samba] authenticating to an NTLM proxy from a Linux http client

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Feb 1 10:13:31 GMT 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 20:41, Drew Parsons wrote:
> Microsoft's proxy server uses NTLM authentication, which I gather provides
> non-standard http authentication, so that *nix clients traditionally cannot
> use it. The latest mozilla (v1.6) now supports NTLM, so I can at last use it
> to surf web. Good for mozilla!
>
> However, any other http client (e.g. wget or Debian's apt-get) is still
> stuck, unable to authenticate.
>
> I understand that samba3 is able to provide NTLM authentication, but I can't
> see how it could be set up to pass on that authentication to the proxy
> server. Samba won't act as an in-between "transparent proxy" that way, will it?
>
> Likewise, squid can provide NTLM authentication, but again, this won't help
> me get through my institution's MS ISA proxy server, will it? So installing
> squid on my linux box won't help, it won't act as a go-between in front of
> the real proxy, true?

Correct, squid is not an NTLMSSP client.

> Is there a solution I've missed? Is there any way samba can be leveraged to
> connect to the proxy server?  Or if it really Can't Be Done, could someone
> kindly say so and put me out of my misery?

Samba has an NTLMSSP client and server implementation, that can be used
by external programs.  The interface is currently not the best, but you
can call ntlm_auth over stdio to do the job.  (This presumes you wish to
modify the source to wget or apt-get).

This is in Samba 3.0.2, of which we just released rc2.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net