[Samba] Slow XP -> Samba 3 (but not FTP etc)

Philip Warner pjw at rhyme.com.au
Fri Dec 24 12:14:19 GMT 2004

Dear All,

Sorry to repeat a question I've seen mentioned before, but have not been
able to find a solution to my specific instance.

I have an XP SP2 box (and one with no SP), and some Win2K boxes, and a Samba
server (3.0.9-2). The Win2K boxes can all copy files to the server at a
reasonable speed, but the XP boxes are all dreadfully slow. FTP from the XP
boxes is fine. The XP boxes can also copy to the Win2k boxes at a reasonable speed.

I have tried:

 - attaching the XP boxes to the network cables of the desktops & vice-verca.
   This results in unchanged behaviour (XP slow, 2K fast)

 - FTP from the XP machines (runs fast)

 - rebooting XP

 - rebooting server

 - directly connecting XP machine to server

 - XP copy to Win2k (fast)

But with no luck. The time (estimated) to copy a 2 GB file is > 200 minutes.

Microsoft KB articles talk about changing TcpAckFrequency Values on the server,
for slow comms from XP to a Win2K PDC (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321169)
but this is on the server, and the same article talks about changing
RequireSecuritySignature & EnableSecuritySignature (on the client, I think),
but these are already set to 0.

The most odd thing about this is that the poor performance started happening
during a copy operation: 10GB were copied in a few minutes, then the connection
ran slow and has run slow ever since.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Relevant smb.conf sections below:

[global]
        workgroup = ALBATROSS
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups
        printcap cache time = 750
        cups options = raw
        printer admin = @ntadmin, root, administrator
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        map to guest = Bad User
        include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
        logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
        logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
        logon drive = L:
        security = user
        encrypt passwords = yes
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
        domain logons = yes
        domain master = yes
        ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
        ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers