[Samba] Guest Printing Broke after upgrade from 2.28 to 3.010

Dan Willis dannowwillis at comcast.net
Mon Dec 20 05:50:55 GMT 2004

I'm running a CUPS print server with SuSe 9.0 Pro with printers shared through Samba. I've recently upgraded from 2.28 to 3.010.  My server is a member of an NT 4 domain.  I run winbind to authenticate users to the domain; however, I also allow guest printing because many laptop users' machines are not domain members.

There has been a change in guest printing behavior after the upgrade.  Domain authentication is working fine. Guest printing (desired) is working OK if the guest's username is not a valid domain username. However, guest printing for laptop users who have domain accounts but are not logged in to the domain does not work and actually locks the user's domain account.  In Samba 2.28, these users would map to "nobody" and could print as desired.

I have tried changing the winbind use default domain parameter, the allow trusted domains parameter, etc. with no change.  I'd like to be able to authenticate users if possible, but still provide guest printing to laptop users.  I've pasted a sanitized version of my smb.conf file below.  What am I overlooking?

Thanks,
Dan Willis

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
 # Date: 2004/12/19 23:29:05
# Global parameters [global]
workgroup = DOMAINNAME
server string = Print server
security = DOMAIN
 auth methods = guest, sam, winbind
allow trusted domains = No
 min password length = 6
 map to guest = Bad Password
 pam password change = Yes
 unix password sync = Yes
client NTLMv2 auth = Yes
 client lanman auth = No
 client plaintext auth = No
 log level = 2
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
acl compatibility = win2k
 name resolve order = wins lmhosts host bcast
 time server = Yes
 paranoid server security = No
socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
 printcap name = CUPS
 domain master = No
dns proxy = No
wins server = IP ADDRESS
 ldap ssl = no
idmap uid = 10000-20000
idmap gid = 10000-20000
 winbind trusted domains only = Yes
 invalid users =
printer admin =
 hosts deny =
 veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/
level2 oplocks = No
[homes]
 comment = Home Directories
 valid users = %D/%U/%S