[Samba] sambapasswd and Win98

Gabriel Moll gmoll at dcc.uchile.cl
Wed Dec 15 20:19:10 GMT 2004

Hi everybody

I'm trying to set up a samba server on a win98 net.
Samba server is running over linux Fedora Core 3
and the domain server and dhcp server are running
on a windows xp.

The problem is that can connect to any resourse
at the samba server, and I got the message:

on Win98 client

"No route host to the network" or something like
this. The original message I get it in spanish.

on samba log I got

==> nmbd.log <==
[2004/12/15 17:13:03, 2] nmbd/nmbd_nameregister.c:wins_registration_timeout(184)
   wins_registration_timeout: WINS server 192.168.0.1 timed out registering IP 192.168.0.5

The testparam output is the following
# testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[pro]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

# Global parameters
[global]
server string = Samba Server
log level = 3 passdb:5 auth:10 winbind:2
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50
name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
os level = 33
local master = No
dns proxy = No
wins proxy = Yes
wins server = 192.168.0.1
valid users = cristobal, eduardo, gmi, gabriel
hosts allow = 192.168.0., 127.
[homes]
comment = Home Directories
[pro]
comment = Proyectos Produccion
path = /xilofor/pro-pro
valid users = gabriel, gmi, cristobal, eduardo
read only = No
create mask = 0765
guest ok = Yes

- ---