[Samba] ADS File Sharing issue

Dege, Robert C. robert.dege at ngc.com
Tue Dec 7 18:52:37 GMT 2004

Hello,

I have been assigned the gracious honor of migrating all of our linux systems (with samba) from a domain environment to our new fancy schmancy Active Directory environment.  We do not have any intentions of using ADS for login authentication.  We only want to establish a transparent file sharing environment between our linux systems & Windows 2000 systems.  I have been successfully upgrading our RedHat 9.0 systems, until I ran into a problem with the latest system (ralphie).

After configuring the system, when I attempt to access any share on ralphie, I am prompted for a username and password.  This automatically implies a broken connection since the share window should automatically appear.  When checking the samba logs, I found the following error messages:

[2004/12/06 14:36:51, 1] libads/kerberos_verify.c:ads_secrets_verify_ticket(155)
  ads_secrets_verify_ticket: failed to fetch machine password
[2004/12/06 14:36:51, 1] smbd/sesssetup.c:reply_spnego_kerberos(173)
  Failed to verify incoming ticket!

here are the steps I followed to upgrade ralphie:

*) Remove old samba-2.x rpms & install samba-3.0.9-1 that I downloaded from the samba site.
*) Upgrade old krb5 rpms to ver. 1.3.4 (I used src RPMS & rebuild them for this machine)
*) Use the tailored krb5.conf file & smb.conf file.
*) modify smb.conf & change netbios name.
*) Add Netbios name to Active Directory (on the Windows side)
*) /usr/kerberos/bin/kinit administrator at COMP.COM --> (was successful)
*) net -Uadministrator ads join --> (was successful)
*) Start samba service.

These steps worked on my other linux systems, so I'm confused why ralphie is not working.  Does anyone have some suggestions or any ideas?

-Rob