[Samba] fc3 samba PDC and winxp

Bas van den Bosch bvdbos at chello.nl
Sun Dec 5 10:50:50 GMT 2004

Hi there,

<copy>
On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 12:49:06PM -0600, Paul Espinosa wrote:
<snip>
> I know it's not a samba problem per se.  I'm giving a heads up in case
this
> is a purposeful shift by Redhat and also in case other distros go this
route
> also.
>
> And yes, I've logged a bug with RedHat.

I see a changelog entry for shadow-utils in rawhide saying
	- re-allow "$" as last char for the sake of samba (#132782)
The bug number appears to be wrong, but it's probably worth trying
shadow-utils-4.0.3-42 to see if the problem is actually fixed.
<paste>

First, I have to say I'm a nebiw linux-user. I installed fc3 this weekend
and updated all packages from rhn. As shadow-utils wasn't updated I was
trying to find a temparary solution and found out the following, assuming
the group machines:

# useradd -g machines -d /dev/null -s /bin/false winmachine
# passwd -l winmachine

Notice the lack of the string. Now here comes the tricky part. Make backup
copy's of the files "/etc/passwd" and "/etc/shadow" first. Manually edit the
"/etc/passwd" and "/etc/shadow" and change the machine name to include a
string. In my case my winxp-machine was called hemel3, so I changed the name
in both files to hemel3$.

Then add the user to samba:
# smbpasswd -a -m machine_name

This works for now. Later I found out about the update:
http://fr.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/fedora/updates/testing/3/i386/shadow-utils-4
.0.3-42.i386.html

I didn't try it yet, from the info it should work, does anyone know?

gr

Bas