[Samba] Can't login from Windows PC to Samba using ADS?

Michael Cesar TheCesars at comcast.net
Fri Aug 27 19:17:35 GMT 2004

I hope this is the right place to post this.

I am running SuSe 8.2 Linux on an IBM 1 gig processor at work. I
installed samba 3.0.5 on it and followed the instructions in the online
book "Samba-3 by Example" for chapter 9 "Active Directory Domain with
Samba Domain Member Server
<http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/unixclients.html#adssdm>"
to the tee (of course it is for 3.0.2) and have every thing working
except for W2K pc cannot authenticate? Oh yeah, I also went the steps in
the troubleshooting guide but couldn't get the step "net use x:
\\mysamba\web" to add.

I can 'net view \\mysamba' just fine and sambaclient -L
mysamba.xxx.com/mydomainloginname ok using my ADS password.
I can see mysamba in the Network Neighborhood.
But I just can't get access to the share from my PC. Oh yea, and I am
using encrypted passwords = yes.

I assume I must have missed something somewhere but for the life of me I
can' t see it. Anybody have any ideas?

Michael Cesar

***** my smb.conf file contents: ******

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
# Date: 2004/08/27 14:25:35

# Global parameters
[global]
    workgroup = MBTMASTER
    realm = MBTMASTER.COM
    netbios name = SAMBA_TEST
    security = ADS
    map to guest = Bad User
    log level = 1
    syslog = 0
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m
    time server = Yes
    socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
    os level = 2
    ldap ssl = no
    preload = global
    idmap uid = 10000-20000
    idmap gid = 10000-20000
    template primary group =
    template shell = /bin/bash
    winbind separator = +
    veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    valid users = %S
    read only = No