[Samba] Samba 3.0.5 PDC Changing passwords

Louis Bohm bohm at mayflowercom.com
Fri Aug 27 18:21:34 GMT 2004

I have a test environment setup with samba 3.05 (soon to be 3.06)
installed and 2 winxp pro clients.  I have setup samba to be the PDC
using tdbsam as the backend.  Every thing works fine except changing
passwords.

The clients cannot change the windows passwords with CTRL+ALT+DEL.  I
cannot login to Swat with the users name and change their password.  ( I
do have the unix and samba passwords set the same.)  And lastly I cannot
login to linux as the user and then run smbpassword.  When the user
tries to change their password they get an error "machine 127.0.0.1
rejected the password change: Error was : RAP86".  I get a similar type
message from Swat.  Root has no problems changing any password.

I have looked on line an seen that many people are using Samba as the
PDC and can change passwords.  However, none of these people are using
the tdbsam backend.  I do not want to go to a SQL or LDAP backend as it
is more work then I need.  We are a small company of only 30 people.  I
did want to use the tdbsam backend because it is more robust.  But if I
have to I will use the smbpassd backend if it will let the user change
their password.

Any comments???

Thanks,
Louis