[Samba] file permissions head-ache on Samba V3.0.4

Tom Hibbert tom at nsp.co.nz
Thu Aug 26 21:49:44 GMT 2004

Hi Paul,

You probably want to ensure you have EXT3 ACL support on your server, if
it isn't already.. not sure if Redhate Enterprise supports this out of
the box.

I've found that editing permissions from a Windows NT 4.0 box leads to
acls being set incorrectly on Samba - use win2k or higher.

You probably also want to chown the directories to root, as once the
users specified in the 'admin users' directive in smb.conf authenticate
to the server they will be mapped in as root (you can see this when you
ps aux |grep smbd). I've found the best way to start permissions wise is
with owner root:root and permissions 0777 on the directory, and from the
ACL editor in Windows restrict permissions that way.

Hope this helps

Tom