[Samba] Wrong charset when mounting WindowsXP shares

Spam spam at tnonline.net
Sun Aug 22 10:39:40 GMT 2004

  Hello,

  I don't seem to be able to mount a WindowsXP share with smbmount and
  get the correct charset. From what I understand Win2000/XP use UTF-8
  for  SMB  shares,  so I tried to mount with -o iocharset=utf8 but it
  did  not  make any difference. All extended characters are messed up
  or truncated.

  Here is what I found out using filenames with a 'å':

  When I mount a Windows share with Samba the 'å' becomes \206 when I
  do ls -b.

  If I create the file on the Samba share from Windows it becomes
  \303\245 when I list it with ls -b.

  when I simply create a file on the local filesystem in Linux it
  becomes \345.

  When I browse a samba share that has two filenames, \303\245 and
  \345 they both show up correct in Windows. Only \303\245 show up
  correct if I list that file in Apache (which is set to UTF-8).

  Is not \303\ the UTF-8 prefix?

  Can someone help me shed the light on this?

  http://se.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/unicode.html