[Samba] trouble configuring samba 3 as a pdc

Phillip K phillipkuo at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 09:50:27 GMT 2004

Hi,

I recently configured smb.conf file using tdbsam as a passdb backend
and tried to add computers to the domain TMSwater with little success.
 The workstation I'm trying to add to the domain is a windows xp
professional laptop.  When I attempt to add the laptop by going thru
'My Computer -> Properties -> Computer Name tab, it says network path
not found.

I can ping the server from the winxp prof laptop by both ip and
netBIOS name however I can't see the shares.  I found a tutorial for
an older version of samba which says you have to add the machine as a
'user' on the server hosing samba with the following commands.

#useradd -s /bin/false -d /nonexistent -c "Trust Account" workstationname\$
#smbpasswd -a -m workstsationname

I tried this, then went back to the winxp prof workstation and
attempted to join the box to the domain whereas it said it failed.
Every so often, it will ask for me to enter a username and password.
I don't know if this is asking for a local account username/pass or a
samba username/pass?  If it is a samba username/pass, how do I go
about resetting the username/pass samba accounts if I need to?

thanks in advance

Phill