[Samba] Problems with 2.2.8a PDC/3.0.2aBDC and XP

Eugenio Ruivo eugenio.ruivo at spel-parques.pt
Fri Aug 20 20:52:19 GMT 2004

Hi,

I continue to have strange problems with out attempt to migrate from 2.2.8a to
3.0.2a.

After a couple of days around the subject my last attempt at trying to figure
out what is happening was as follows:

MDK 9.1 with Samba 2.2.8a as PDC with LDAP, this is our current production
server (we want to upgrade to MDK 10.0 and Samba 3).

The idea is to migrate to a temporary server to free ou main server for the
upgrade. This server has MDK 10.0, Samba 3.0.2a, OpenLdap, etc.

Our first attempt was to install the LDAP tree on the temporary server with
the new schema for samba 3 by exporting to ldif converting to sambaSamAccount
and applying the edited ldif (some where along the line we also tried pdbedit
-i ldapsam_compat:/oldserver) and configure the backend as
ldap:ldapsam://localhost

At a certain point we got everything to look ok when working from the two
linux servers.

Whwn we try browsing from one of our XP Pro computers (that authenticates and
logs on against the PDC main server) for the temporary server (BDC) we can
find the server but can't see the shares. It complains that the network name
is no longer valid.

After trying every thing I could think of I decided to go to another approach,
We had another server that also has the same software so we configured as BDC
but using ldap directly of the main server as passdb backend
ldap:ldapsam_compat://x.x.x.x (IP of our PDC which hosts the LDAP install
also).
We also edited /etc/ldap.conf accordingly (checked getent passwd and group.
All visible an ok).
We joined this server to the domain ok.

Well when browsing the domain the server doen't show, but browsing directly
for \\server_name pops up the authentication login window but it doesn't
validate.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Eugenio Ruivo