[Samba] Re: Groups not recognized

pgienger at ae-solutions.com pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Fri Aug 20 11:50:34 GMT 2004

Quoting Michal Kurowski <mkur at poczta.gazeta.pl>:

> > Just to be sure, we're talking about a directory that has something like
> 750
> > perms, and the group is in the secondary groups list of the user?  I get
> perm
> > denied from samba but get in just fine on something like the unix
> > comand line.
>
> It's not clear to me - "perm denied" to a resource that is protected by
> some group membership which is not a user primary group, right ?

Sorry, I was being a little loose with the lingo there, it was late, I had a bad
day :-P

Say you have a dir 'stuff' with group 'lotsopeople'(gid 5), which is your share
point.  Inside stuff you have a directory 'secret' with group 'justtwoguys'
(gid 10).  Both of these directories are set with permissions 750 (rwxr-x---).
Say you have a user JoeBob, who's gid is 5, but is also listed in justtwoguys.
When JoeBob tries to access secret, he gets something like 'access denied' on
windows, if you use smbclient you get something like NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.

> It is weird because 112960-03 is pretty old. I've got version -16.
17 is out too :-P.

> > Just to update, I backed down to 112960-03 on my 12/02 box and things work
> fine.
> >  If I go to a windows box and run ifmember it shows me all the groups I
> want,
> > and I don't even think I have some of them groupmapped.
>
> It should not be required unless you have very specific user
>  membership needs (something that works differently on a windows
> and on a unix box).
I didn't think so either, but you try some interesting things while testing...