[Samba] Re: Groups not recognized

Michal Kurowski mkur at poczta.gazeta.pl
Fri Aug 20 08:42:07 GMT 2004

pgienger at ae-solutions.com [pgienger at ae-solutions.com] wrote:

> Correcting myself, on solaris you need to do an id -a but on linux a simple id
> gives you all secondary groups.

Right. On unix side everything is OK and you only have problems with
samba ? Sorry but I use 2.2.x and can't help you much with samba 3.x.x
*only*.

> Just to be sure, we're talking about a directory that has something like 750
> perms, and the group is in the secondary groups list of the user?  I get perm
> denied from samba but get in just fine on something like the unix
> comand line.

It's not clear to me - "perm denied" to a resource that is protected by
some group membership which is not a user primary group, right ?

> > It is pretty weird you only have 112960-03.
> Why is that wierd? patchrm works wonders when you need it.  This is what the bug
> (395 I believe) says is the correct patch-point to get things working, and it
> seems to be correct in my tests.

It is weird because 112960-03 is pretty old. I've got version -16.
There's been lots of changes (in that patch and all patches that it
depends on).

> Openldap 2.1.something, whatever comes with FC2, or are you getting at something
> else?

My server is Sun DS 5.2.

> Nope, but if I did I'd try using the sun package first.  I can't stand automatic
> patching of unix boxes (this week anyway, next week may change).  We've got two
> FC2 boxes that started going wierd on network transfers, and I'd much rather be
> able to rule out yum sticking in some new version of a package that doesn't
> play nice.

OK, I was not talking about automatic patch install software but about
anything that will let you know what's going on with patches, what was
recently released by Sun, etc. That's what "pca.pl" is. You need to
update you "patchdiag.xref" file regularly.

> Just to update, I backed down to 112960-03 on my 12/02 box and things work fine.
>  If I go to a windows box and run ifmember it shows me all the groups I want,
> and I don't even think I have some of them groupmapped.

It should not be required unless you have very specific user
 membership needs (something that works differently on a windows
and on a unix box).

Cheers,

--
Michal Kurowski
perl -e '$_=q#: 13_2: 12/o{>: 8_4) (_4: 6/2^-2; 3;-2^\2: 5/7\_/\7: 12m m::#;