[Samba] Installation problems on Fedora Core 2

David Levner davidlevner at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 18 17:11:15 GMT 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to use Samba to share files between a PC
running Windows 2000 Professional and a Linux machine
running Fedora Core 2 (recently installed). Of course,
it's not working. I can see the Linux machine from the
Win2K machine in the "Computers Near Me" window, but
when I double-click on the Win2K machine, I get the
error messages "\\Wintergreen is not accessible" and
"The Server service is not started". (Wintergreen is
the name of the Linux machine. I have started nmbd and
smbd on the Linux machine with "nmbd -D" and "smbd
-D".)

I used yum ("yum install samba") to install samba
3.0.3-5.i386 on the Linux machine. I have gone through
items 1-4 of the Samba checklist and several of the
results I got make me question whether the samba
installation was successful.

1. When I run testparm, I'm told: "Failed to load
/usr/lib/samba/upcase.dat - No such file or
directory", "creating lame upcase table", "Failed to
load /usr/lib/samba/lowcase.dat - No such file or
directory", "creating lame lowcase table", "Failed to
load /usr/lib/samba/valid.dat - No such file or
directory", "creating default valid table". Everything
else looks reasonable. I don't know if these errors
are serious.

2. I can ping either machine from either machine using
IP addresses.

3. I can't run smbclient because this program does not
seem to exist on my Linux machine.

4. I can't run nmblookup because this program does not
seem to exist on my Linux machine.

What did I do or am I doing wrong? If I uninstall and
reinstall samba, what should I do differently?

Thanks in advance.

David Levner