[Samba] LDAP Master/Slave

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Wed Aug 18 17:04:13 GMT 2004

> If I have it setup this way, the users that on the other side will
> never be able to update their passwords, at least on that leg of the
> VPN.  Or maybe I just thinking about this the wrong way.

In a pure LDAP environment, if you are trying to change your password on
a machine that only points to a ldap slave (by definition read only I
believe), the structure will refer you to the master server, either by
making your change request by proxy or pointing your client to it, that
part I am fuzzy on.  At any rate though, you can change your password
when pointed at a local slave ldap server.  When your VPN goes down, you
would probably just be denied that change request.

I would assume that samba simply calls the ldap libraries it was
compiled against and thusly acts the same way.

--
Paul Gienger                     Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.