[Samba] create mask

Chris chrisd at better-investing.org
Tue Aug 17 15:12:44 GMT 2004

Hello.

I have set up a new samba server here at work, and for most things it is
working great -- but there is yet one major issue.

It works fine for Windows and Dave clients, but the problem arises when I use
smbmount. It is set up as a domain member of an ADS domain.

For example, I have a public share that everyone in the office should be able
to access, regardless of platform or even username.

I have this in my smb.conf:

=========================
[public_tmp]
        path = /public_tmp
        writable = yes
        guest ok = yes
        public = yes
        create mask = 0777
        directory mask =0777
        browseable = yes
        read only = no
        nt acl support = yes
=========================

Now, what this should do is force everything moved or copied to this share to
a mode of 777. It does just this for windows users and Dave users -- but if I
smbmount it it does not. If I used konqueror to move the file, it gives me a
pop-up saying: "Could not change permissions for /file/name". If I copy it on
the command line, it doesn't complain, but the perms are still wrong. It
always applies my system's umask. This is not good, because then others
cannot utilize files placed in this share.  If I try a chmod on the
smbmounted dir for files I create, I get "operation not permitted".

I wish to stress here that this did not happen with samba 2.0.7 on an nt4
domain, it started with 3.x on an ADS domain.

I used to mount it like so:

/usr/bin/smbmount //servername/public_tmp /mnt/public_tmp -o
username=chris,workgroup=myworkgroup

But, obviously, it doesn't want to work anymore, so I tried this:

smbmount //servername/public_tmp /mnt/public_tmp -o
username=chris,workgroup=myworkgroup,krb,dmask=777,umask=000

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Chris