[Samba] Not creating home directory for domain member at KDE login

DChristensen at theimg.net DChristensen at theimg.net
Fri Aug 13 12:44:22 GMT 2004

I've added the pam changes that use winbind to authenticate users against
the domain controller.  I see all of the domain users in the graphical
login, but when a user logs in who hasn't logged in before, the new home
directory (/etc/DOMAIN/<userid>) isn't either being created or it's being
created with permissions that don't allow files to be written under the user
id.

When logging in via telnet, the directories are created as they are supposed
to be.  Here are my pam configurations for login, samba and xdm:

XDM:
#%PAM-1.0
auth	 sufficient	pam_winbind.so
auth     sufficient     pam_unix2.so	use_first_pass nullok #set_secrpc
account  sufficient     pam_winbind.so
account  required       pam_unix2.so
#password required       pam_pwcheck.so  nullok
password required       pam_unix2.so   #nullok use_first_pass use_authtok
strict=no
session  required       pam_unix2.so    debug # trace or none
session  required       pam_devperm.so
session  required       pam_resmgr.so

LOGIN
#%PAM-1.0
#auth     requisite	pam_unix2.so		nullok #set_secrpc
auth	 required	pam_securetty.so
auth	 required	pam_env.so
auth	 sufficient	pam_unix2.so nullok
auth	 sufficient	pam_winbind.so use_first_pass
auth	 required	pam_deny.so
auth     required       pam_nologin.so
account sufficient	pam_winbind.so
account required	pam_unix2.so
#auth	 required	pam_homecheck.so
#auth     required       pam_env.so
#auth	 required	pam_mail.so
#account  required       pam_unix2.so
password required	pam_pwcheck.so		nullok
password required       pam_unix2.so		nullok use_first_pass
use_authtok
session	 required	pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/  umask=0022
session  sufficient     pam_unix2.so	none # debug or trace
session  sufficient     pam_limits.so

SAMBA
#%PAM-1.0
auth     required       pam_unix.so
account  required       pam_unix.so

I'd sure appreciate any help any of you might be able to offer.

David Christensen
Brokers International, Ltd.
1200 E Main St
Panora, IA  50216