[Samba] Re: XP SP2 client doesn't find netbios alias servers, SOLVED

Sten Sletbak Sten.Sletbak at adm.hio.no
Mon Aug 16 10:53:43 GMT 2004

In article <slrnchpcsv.o2u.Sten.Sletbak at valium.p52.hio.no>, Sten Sletbak wrote:
> After upgrading XP to SP2, I can no longer connect to server aliases.
> The client reports an error 53, "The network path was not found", when
> doing "net use * \\prof\profile.
> Mapping to a share on the real netbios name works fine.
>
> Anyone else seen this?
>
> Setup:
>
> samba-3.0.6.rc2
>
> smb.conf
>
> [global]
>
> netbios aliases = PROF
> include = /etc/samba/smb.%L
>
> smb.prof
>
> [profile]
>        path = /data/samba/profile
>        csc policy = disable
>        profile acls = yes
>        read only = No
>        create mask = 0600
>        directory mask = 0700
>        browseable = No

smb.conf

[global]
smb ports = 139

It turned out that the old smbd daemons weren't properly killed when I first tested this option...
"#Killall -9 smbd;service smb start" did the trick.

NB!
Do not play with this option when you got users logged on, as the clients are still talking to
port 445.

So it was not the client not finding the alias server, but rather %L not substituting correctly.

>From the smb.conf manual page:

%L
the NetBIOS name of the server. This allows you to change your config based on what the client calls you.
Your server can have a "dual personality".
This parameter is not available when Samba listens on port 445, as clients no longer send this information.

Sten