[Samba] Unable to add machine

Steve Tyler styler at physcal.com
Wed Aug 11 20:43:47 GMT 2004

Hi All,

I have a setup using tdbsam as a backend, I can add accounts using
pdbedit -a <username> but I have only been able to add one machine
account.  I can't figure out why.

 # pdbedit -a -m test

tdb_update_sam: SAM_ACCOUNT (test$) with no RID!
Unable to add machine! (does it already exist?)

I have verified that there is no entry in /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow for
the machine name I am trying to add.

I have completely removed passdb.tdb and secrets.tdb and started over
but still have the same issue.

Here is the global section of my smb.conf, of which I based upon the
examples found at

http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/secure.html#id2520426

[global]
        netbios name = styler
        workgroup = TESTDOMAIN
        interfaces = eth0
        bind interfaces only = yes
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        pam password change = yes
        passwd chat = *New*Password* %n\n *Re-enter*new*password* %n\n
*Password*changed*
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        unix password sync = yes
        encrypt passwords = yes
        log level = 1
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m
        max log size = 50
        smb ports = 139 445
        name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
        time server = yes
        printcap name = CUPS
        show add printer wizard = No
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
        delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
        add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
        delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
        add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d
/dev/null %u
        logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
        logon drive = H:
        logon home = \\%L\%U\winprofile