[Samba] Re: acl handling on delete (performance problem)

Jure Peèar pegasus at nerv.eu.org
Tue Aug 10 02:25:17 GMT 2004

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:23:39 +0200
Jure Peèar <pegasus at nerv.eu.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 06:19:16 -0700
> "Esh, Andrew" <Andrew_Esh at adaptec.com> wrote:
>
> > Has an ACL cache been implemented in Jeremy's version of ACL support?
> > I know Matt Zinkevicius had one in his ACL code, and it drastically
> > improved performance in situations where the folder path was being
> > traversed during a permissions inheritance check.
>
> ACL cache sounds exactly like what we'd need. Are there any patches
> floating aronund? I'm very willing to test them.

We have some more interestings finds regarding this matter:

The situation we're having problems with is having shares on samba PDC box;
this way, ACL lookups are a showstopper.

If we set up another samba 3.0 box as a domain member to that existing PDC
and set up some shares on it, the performance is as it should be. Deleting a
~4k folders folder now takes only ~10s for 'preparing to delete' and 70s for
actual delete.

Right now we're trying to understand why this problem only comes up with
shares on the PDC box.

--

Jure Peèar