[Samba] Samba 2.2 PDC to ADS member server migration issues

Pete Cridland peter.cridland at renovo.com
Thu Aug 5 14:58:40 GMT 2004

Hi, our company has for the last 3 years run a SAMBA PDC/Fileserver. Sadly
circumstances dictate that we now need to move to an Active Directory
infrastructure, and I want to migrate the existing PDC to a Samba3 ADS member
server. All our SAMBA domain users have identical accounts on our AD domain,
and I have successfully joined our SAMBA3 test box to the AD domain as a native
ADS/Kerberos authentication member, and the original linux users and some test
files in place.

The problem is this: I've been playing with the 'winbind trusted domains only'
switch to try to get AD SIDs to map to existing linux UIDs. with 'winbind
trusted domains only' switched OFF all users authenticating from the AD server
have a brand new linux UID automatically mapped to their AD SID, and cannot
access the files owned by the equivalently named linux user. This is not an
option as we have 3 years worth of files with ownerships based on the existing
users.

With 'winbind trusted domains only' switched ON, the system does manage to map
the AD SID to the correct UID for the equivalently named linux user, however
only AD users with an existing linux user account are recognised (ie a setfacl
or chown to an AD user without a corresponding linux user account fails, and
ditto for AD groups). This is far from an ideal option as not only would we
have to add all new users to both the AD server and SAMBA member, we wouldn't
be able to use AD groups for security.

If I could convince Winbind to map the AD SIDs to the existing UIDs for the
corresponding user then I would like to run with 'winbind trusted domains only'
switched OFF. Is there a way to do this automatically, or failing that is there
a way to edit the SID/UID mappings in the windbind idmap manually (a perfectly
acceptable fallback choice)? Also will net groupmap deal with SID/GID group
mappings for our existing groups?

Thanks,
Pete Cridland