[Samba] Charset Problem on the smbldap-groupadd

Ioan Caltun Ioan.Caltun at aptoa.fr
Thu Aug 5 14:51:55 GMT 2004

Helllo,

I'm working on a factory placement which consists of writing a French
how to for migration of an NT4 PDC to a RH AS 3 server PDC with
Samba3+openLDAP backend.

For the time being everything worked just smooth up to the net rpc
vampire command.

After several identification problems for the DSA accounts, I rebuilt
the DSA entries and everything works smooth.

I can use smbldap-groupadd to add for example a group called
Administrators. When trying to do the same for.. Admins du domaine,
vampire and the whole migration operation hangs up.

I found out why by doing a strace -f -p PID -o FILE2WRITE4ERROR

I found that it is the smbldap-tools which causes these errors.

Is the maximum length for this name is 14 characters? And no spaces
allowed ? Can it handle French accents?

I can give you all the conf and the code I have. But I cannot understand
where these limitations come from.

Could this be changed? Has anyone managed to solve this problem?

Should the Perl scripts be modified or is there another solution to
this.

Thank you very much

Best Regards

Ioan Caltun