[Samba] samba PDC problems

David "3oz" Sonenberg pip_prime at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 5 00:43:37 GMT 2004

I'm trying to set up a samba PDC. I've been following
the directions in "The Official Samab-3" book. I still
don't understand how to add users! I'm using tdbsam
and I set up all the add user scripts and what not in
the smb.conf. pdbedit won't let me do anything unless
I add the user with adduser(what's the point of the
scripts?) and even when I add the user by hand I get
this error message.

[root at samba samba]# pdbedit -a -u test
new password:
retype new password:
Unable to open/create TDB passwd
tdb_update_sam: Unable to open TDB passwd
(/etc/samba/secrets.tdb)!
Unable to add user! (does it already exist?)

I'm sure I just understand the process and none of the
docs seem to explain it clearly. Any help you can give
would be appreciated. Anyway here's my smb.conf:

[global]
netbios name = SAMBA
workgroup = WORKGROUP
passdb backend = tdbsam:/etc/samba/secrets.tdb

# Scripts
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel =r %u
add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false
-d /dev/null %u

os level = 33
preferred master = yes
domain master = yes