[Samba] LDAP-based NIS server .vs. NIS migration to LDAP?

Kang Sun ksun at abinitio.com
Mon Aug 2 16:00:18 GMT 2004

Greetings!

I tried to post this question to openldap group but somehow my post never
showed up there.

Anyway, I built PDC using Samba3 and OPENLDAP and now like to integrade NIS

service to it. I searched the net there are quite a few guides on how to

replace NIS with LDAP.

However, in our environment, we have almost all sorts of Unix platforms,

e.g. Linux (mainly Redhat), Solaris, HPUX, AIX, IRIS, and plus some pretty

old OS versions. They are all NIS clients now but I don't expect they can

all be easily converted to to be authenticated against LDAP. For instance, I

don't think all of them have pam and nss ready.

I thought it would be easier if I can somehow build the NIS Server using

LDAP and maintain all NIS slaves and clients as they are, I would have an

easy mirgration path while achieving the goal of centralizing

authentication/administration of the enterprise-wide accounts on LDAP

server.

Any comments, suggestions, guidances are deeply appreciated.

Sincerely yours,

--- Kang Sun