[Samba] samba server onto a Windows 2000 server

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Mon Aug 2 15:43:27 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 11:07, Larry.Paulson at dot.pima.gov wrote:
> Wanting to install SAMBA (3.0 preferably) onto a Windows 2000 Server, and
> then share files from the Windows 2000 Server, to the Sun Solaris 8
> Workstation.

Larry, you are misunderstanding me. Here:

   SAMBA
    is
     NOT
       LOADABLE
        Program
         you
          install
           ON
             WINDOWS
              SERVER
               PERIOD.

Windows Server can and does share the files through it's server services
already included with MicroSoft's Product. Windows 2000 already has
SMB/CIFS services available once you turn them on.

Nothing more is needed on that machine other than to define the shares
(\\YOURSERVER\CAD-FILES)

Again, let me explain this:

   SAMBA
    is
     NOT
       LOADABLE
        Program
         you
          install
           ON
             WINDOWS
              SERVER
               PERIOD.

SAMBA is used by *NON**WINDOWS* machines to connect to Windows machines.

By default Solaris uses NFS and AFS by default. Windows 2000 WILL NOT
USE READ or OFFER THESE SERVICES PERIOD.

For your SOLARIS MACHINE to COMMUNICATE PROPERLY with the WINDOWS
server, you must do the following thing on your solaris workstaion:

     1. Download the samba source:
        http://us3.samba.org/samba/ftp/samba-3.0.5.tar.gz
     2. extract the source to a non-compressed format
     3. you must "configure" (it is a command in the files you just
        extracted) and it will prepare itself to be compiled
     4. you must 'make" the compiled versions of SAMBA
     5. you then as "root" on the solaris workstation, do a "make
        install"
     6. Find the service file for Solaris and have it auto start samba
        for Solaris.
     7. You then must "know how to" mount these Windows2000 Shares from
        your Solaris machine, to be able to read these files.

Please Read the Manuals URLs, I gave you earlier. They will so much help
you out.

Good, luck. You need to comprehend the whole idea first. This is not an
insult, just that you are lacking the understanding needed to really get
this done.

greg, greg at gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster: Linux