[Samba] smbmount hangs Linux if Windows server goes down

Alexej Davidov alexej.davidov at gmx.net
Mon Aug 2 09:24:16 GMT 2004

On Monday 02 August 2004 07:28, John Hewitt wrote:
> What distro are you using? Samba version details?
>
> Hmm, I can see that it would indeed cause you a mess - especially with
> the symlinking. Whilst I can't give you an answer to your question I
> can ask for a few more details regarding the version numbers of your
> linux machine.  Hopefully some other samba god will be able to help
> you.
>
> Anyhow all I can offer is to try and manually unmount the share when
> your on the linux box and you know the windows box is down.
> Sometimes if umount doesn't work, you can try:
> umount -f

Hi,

umount -f won't work. Nothing will work. All processes accessing the share
(also umount) will hang in state D. Now D is uninterruptible sleep, and is
just that: uninterruptible. They cannot even be interrupted with kill -9.
Thus, I would say, it's a flaw in the smbfs kernel module, as it is regarded
a kernel bug, if a process cannot be killed with kill -9. I'm not aware of
any solution to that.

Kind regards
Alexej