[Samba] Re: smbmount hangs Linux if Windows server goes down

Howard hccebay at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 3 05:19:52 GMT 2004

John Hewitt <johnblade <at> gmail.com> writes:

> What distro are you using? Samba version details?
>
> Hmm, I can see that it would indeed cause you a mess - especially with
> the symlinking. Whilst I can't give you an answer to your question I
> can ask for a few more details regarding the version numbers of your
> linux machine.  Hopefully some other samba god will be able to help
> you.
>
> Anyhow all I can offer is to try and manually unmount the share when
> your on the linux box and you know the windows box is down.
> Sometimes if umount doesn't work, you can try:
> umount -f

John, Thanks for your reply.

I am using Samba 3.0.0-15 on a plain vanilla fedora core-1 system with all
optional components that came with the distro installed.

Any other ideas?  It seem that, given what I am reading so far, having Linux
mount via smbfs is very dangerous thing to do.  Seems odd?

Howard