[Samba] Problems with charsets and i18n

Dexter Filmore Dexter.Filmore at gmx.de
Thu Apr 29 11:24:07 GMT 2004

> Good news for you: utf8 works fine. Sadly I need LATIN9 ... :(

No, it doesn't. when I let Samba export UTF8, the Linux client (Slackware 9.1)
sees the files alright in ls, but when I try to do anything with them like
move, copy, open I get "couldn't get stats: file or dir doesn't exist". Great.

WinXP borks altogether, even hangs when accesing those shares.

What works perfectly is CIFS, but unfortunately still has severe bugs like
client stalling when transferring a few hundred MB to server.

i18n and Samba is hell.

Dex