[Samba] Can't get SWAT to work...

Brad sambauser at capstone.net.au
Mon Apr 26 20:55:53 GMT 2004

I have a Red Hat 9 file server and I have been unable to use swat to
configure the smb.conf file.

I have samba-swat installed and the following in /etc/xintetd:

# default: off
#              to configure your Samba server. To use SWAT, \
#              connect to port 901 with your favorite web browser.
service swat
{
         disable         = no
         port            = 901
         socket_type     = stream
         wait            = no
         only_from       = 127.0.0.1
         user            = root
         server          = /usr/sbin/swat
         log_on_failure  += USERID

I have restarted xinetd.

Should I be able to see swat in the process list?

# ps ax|grep swat
24560 pts/1    S      0:00 grep swat

When I go to a browser and go to:

http://<serverip>:901

nothing happens at all. It just sits there. There is nothing in
/var/log/messages or /var/log/messages/samba/*

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Regards,
Brad