[Samba] Is it possible to store XP Profiles on Samba 3.0.2 ?

Mac mac at nibsc.ac.uk
Mon Apr 26 16:32:23 GMT 2004

>> Can you use Samba to store an XP Pro profile?
>
>Yes, you can. Your error message suggests that the profile you are trying to
>overwrite does not belong to the current domain. ie: The user SID inside the
>NTUser.DAT file for the current user does not match the current SID.

This sounds highly likely.

The question in my mind though is where the Samba server gets a SID
from?

The XP Pro client is authenticating into a AD domain, which is telling
it to store its profile on the Samba server.  I have joined the Samba
server to the AD domain in an attempt to coax this into working.  But to
no avail.  (i.e. the join worked and Samba is now authenticating from
the Windows server ('security=domain') but the SID error still occurs)

Do I need to set some sort of SID on the Samba server to match the
domain portion of the SID in the error message? (which I'm assuming is
the domain SID for the AD domain?)

Can I use 'net getsid' (or somesuch)?

(side question: when using tdbtool's "dump" command, how can I convert the
SIDs from secrets.tdb into SID-1-..... format?)

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 641565          Everything else: +44 7956 237670 (anytime)