[Samba] Sync UNIX and SMB users

Mac mac at nibsc.ac.uk
Thu Apr 22 11:07:43 GMT 2004

>Hi,
>
>I'm new to Samba so I apologize if this topic has been covered in the past.
>
>I want to sync my UNIX users from /etc/shadow to my Samba users in
>/etc/samba/smbpasswd
>
>How can I do this automatically?

The basic answer is to use the 'unix password sync' option.  See the man
page for smb.conf(5).

Two further bits of info.

Make sure that your 'passwd chat' consumes all of the output of your
'passwd program', otherwise the whole thing will just hang.

Also, if you're not using the system password file (/etc/passwd) for
holding the NIS passwords then you may need a slightly more clever
version that allows you to reset the NIS password.

See my webpage on this subject:-

	http://www.nibsc.ac.uk/~dmccann/smb/

(There is another approach to this, if you can recompile the normal
'passwd' binary to use a path other than '/etc/passwd')

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 641565          Everything else: +44 7956 237670 (anytime)