[Samba] Samba 3.0.2a - Erroneously rejects NTLMv2 but accepts NTLM

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Apr 23 00:26:51 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 00:45, Adrian Newby wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> Could you please elaborate on your ACCESS_DENIED/viud comment?  Does "odd"
> mean my answers don't make sense or does it mean that the behavior is not
> supposed to happen like this? (or both)

I would expect this behaviour from a PocketPC, for example, but not from
a normal windows client.

> Also, am I correct in assuming that your suggestion to try w/ 3.0.3rc1 means
> that:
> a) My setup looks OK
> and/or
> b) 3.0.2a has some known issues?
>
> If 3.0.2a is suspected or known to exhibit this problem, I'd be happy to
> plough through another source build but it's a big enough effort that I'd
> really like to solve the problem w/ the current production release if at all
> possible.
>
> As soon as I get your reply, I'll build up the test scenario.

3.0.3rc1 includes fixes for NTLMv2 issues regarding the correct
uppercassing semantics required for NTLMv2.  This may or may not be
related to your issue.

I'll need to see a network trace, and simultaneous level 10 debug (of
3.0.3rc1 preferably) to get a better idea what's going on.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net