[Samba] WINS question..More questions

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Wed Apr 21 19:31:22 GMT 2004

>Ok, then lets check if they're registering properly.  Check the contents
>of your wins.dat file.  Each machine should have an entry in there.  If
>the machines are in there, try querying the wins server.  From the linux
>machine
>$nmblookup -R -U<ip of wins> <netbois name to look for>
>See if you get a response.

Works like a charm, except for one.
(good query)
oxygen# nmblookup -R -U 192.168.1.50 jwilliams
querying jwilliams on 192.168.1.50
192.168.1.90 jwilliams<00>

(bad query)
oxygen# nmblookup -R -U 192.168.1.50 server
querying server on 192.168.1.50
name_query failed to find name server

The bad query, server, is actually the NT box at the moment. I took a look
at it, and it was originally not pointing to the WINS server. I entered the
information, but needs a reboot to go into affect. I'll have to do that
late tonight.
It appears it hasn't registered with my WINS server, oxygen. That correct
in my assumption?

>Then try from a windows machine.
>C:\nbtstat -a <netbois name to look for>

Works as well:

C:\Documents and Settings\jwilliams>nbtstat -a jcwilliams

Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.90] Scope Id: []

            NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

        Name               Type         Status
     JCWILLIAMS     <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
     COURTESY       <00>  GROUP       Registered
     JCWILLIAMS     <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
     COURTESY       <1E>  GROUP       Registered
     JCWILLIAMS     <03>  UNIQUE      Registered

     MAC Address = 00-09-6B-F3-D8-39

>Then this will tell you if its using wins
>C:\nbtstat -r

C:\Documents and Settings\jwilliams>nbtstat -r

     NetBIOS Names Resolution and Registration Statistics

     Resolved By Broadcast     = 86
     Resolved By Name Server   = 16

     Registered By Broadcast   = 111
     Registered By Name Server = 0

     NetBIOS Names Resolved By Broadcast
            SERVER
            COURTESY       <1C>
            SERVER         <00>
            SERVER
            SERVER
            SERVER
            WEASEL
            WEASEL

That look correct? I'm guessing so. Just thought i'd ask.

Thanks for your help.

Jason