[Samba] Linksys blue boxes dhcp and name resolution

blfs at comcast.net blfs at comcast.net
Wed Apr 21 16:07:53 GMT 2004

I am trying to set up a samba system behind one of those linksys
blue boxes.  There are four computers.  two windows and and two
linux computers.

Some things work and some dont.  But one problem that seems not solvable
is naming the linux boxes.  How does one name the linux boxes if the
linksys dhcp server does not have dns?

I am also having trouble getting smbclient working on the win98 machine,
although it works on the xp machine.  I have searched and can find no
documentation on this.  I find alot of documentation troubleshooting
connections from the win98 machine to the samba server.