[Samba] LDAP Q: What for use Containers

Schlomo Schapiro schlomo at schapiro.org
Tue Apr 20 13:28:02 GMT 2004

Hi,

well, on NDS and Netware you could give file system access rights to a
container and then all users in that container would inherit these rights.
BTW, Windows and AD also cannot do this.

Basically it is a way to not use groups but assign information to objects
based on their position in the LDAP tree. I can imagine many more uses,
e.g. default servers, logon servers, share access rights, ...

The point is, is there any use of the hierarchical structure of the LDAP
directory for Samba ? Or does Samba use the LDAP dir only like flat file
or SQL DB ?

AFAIK there is not yet much or maybe any support for such settings, but I
want to discuss why not and wether others find it a useful thing to have.

Regards,
Schlomo

--
Regards,