[Samba] cannot change user password with CTRL-ALT-DEL

Angel Chiou achiou at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 19 20:13:39 GMT 2004

I've been running samba (currently 2.2.3a-13 for Debian) as a PDC with W2k
clients for over two years. The system was up and running quite well for a
long time. A couple of days ago, I installed the following MS-patches:

MS04-011
MS04-012
MS04-013
MS04-014
MS02-011

Now when users try to change their password from the w2k clients using
CTRL-ALT-DEL, a popup window appears saying: "password change failed, the
domain <xxx> is not available". But the fact is that the password has been
succesfully changed (i.e. the popup should state: "password succesfully
changed."). When users log out and login again, the login obviusly fails,
since users use their old passwords instead of the new ones...

I wonder whether I am the only one who is experiencing this problem and
whether somebody knows how to solve this problem.

I can send the logs (nmbd.log, smbd.log and log.machinename) if somebody
needs them.

Thanks,

Angel Chiou